With the leftover eggplant from the Eggplant Barley Risotto, I felt compelled to play with Indian spices. Have you cooked with curry powder? The smell, alone, drives me crazy and I can’t wait to dig in! Then it colors the remaining ingredients with such a beautiful golden orange! Oh man, I’m making myself hungry, again!
Curry Chicken and Veggies
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chunks
- 1 cup onion, chunks
- 5 oz chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cubed into 1/2 in cubes
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, reduced sodium
- 3 cup eggplant, skin on, chunks
- 3/4 tsp dried ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced fat, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
In a large skillet, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, over medium heat, add the garlic, chopped onion, and green pepper. Cover to steam vegetables, until onion begins the become translucent. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir thoroughly, raise the heat to medium-high, and recover. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.
This was such an easy, one pot meal! Gotta love it!